- 1 cup Real California sour cream or crème fraîche
- 2 limes, zest and juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 cups (16 ounces) shredded Real California Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup (8 ounces) Real California cream cheese
- 1/4 red onion, cut into 3 or 4 chunks
- 1 serrano chile, seeded
- 36 wonton wrappers
- About 6 cups cooking oil
Preheat oven to 200°F. Cover large rimmed baking sheet with paper towels and place in oven. In small bowl, combine sour cream, lime juice, lime zest, cilantro and salt to taste; set aside.
Combine Cheddar, cream cheese, red onion and chile in food processor and pulse to make a paste; set aside. Spoon scant tablespoon Cheddar mixture onto each of 6 wrappers, moisten edges with water, fold wrapper over filling and press to firmly seal; repeat with remaining wonton wrappers.
Pour oil into large, heavy stockpot to 1 inch deep and warm to 350°F over medium heat. Cook wontons in batches, turning occasionally, until browned, about 1 minute. Transfer to a plate, then to oven. Serve wontons hot, with lime mixture on the side.