Most of us don't associate Hollywood celebrities with farming, but there are a number of famous names who grew up on farms across the globe before landing in Hollywood. In honor of the annual Academy Awards, we've come up with some celebrity trivia for all of you moo-ving picture, TV and moo-sic fans out there:
- Actress and former model Charlize Theron grew up on her parents' farm in South Africa.
- Mathew Fox of the hit show "Lost" was born and raised on a ranch in Wyoming.
- Country music star Martina McBride was born and raised on a farm in Kansas.
- Tony-nominated singer and actor Tom Wopat was born on a small farm in Texas.
- Bonus trivia: Hollywood heartthrob Hayden Christensen owns a farm in Toronto.
In preparation for Oscar parties, the California Milk Advisory Board has nominated the following appetizer that is truly worthy of a golden statuette:
California Almond Butter Popcorn
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup almond butter
1 teaspoon salt
8 cup popcorn (about 1/4 cup unpopped corn)
1 cup sliced almonds, toasted (optional)
4 tablespoon (1/2 stick) Real California butter
In a medium saucepan, melt butter and add brown sugar, stirring constantly until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat, stir in almond butter and salt and mix well. Pour over popcorn and toss to coat evenly. Toss in optional sliced almonds if using.
Recipes can be doubled as needed for more popcorn.
1/4 cup popcorn = about 8 cups popped
1/2 cup popcorn = about 16 cups popped
Store leftovers in airtight containers for up to one week.